Internship in Germany: Visa Regulations

Do I need a visa if I am not from Germany?

If you are an EU citizen, you don't need a work permit. If you are a non-EU citizen, you do.

If you are studying and living outside Germany and applying for an internship in Germany, you will need:

  • a work permit before you are allowed to undertake an internship
  • will need health insurance, which is compulsory for anyone working in Germany, and necessary for getting a work permit

The Working Holiday Visa enables to stay in Germany for up to 12 months and take up a paid job.

For all countries: Be 18 and 30 years (35 for Canada)

  • Not accompanied by children
  • Posses a valid Passport
  • Have proof of sufficient fund
  • Posses return air tickets or equivalent funds
  • Show proof of health insurance valid in Germany for the duration of the stay

Required documents:

  • 2 application forms for Residence Permit
  • 2 passport photographs
  • proof of professional qualifications (proof of studies)
  • proof of sufficient funds for first 3 months
  • internship contract from host company
  • evidence of health insurance