Turtle Conservation Project in Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka
Overview: Turtle Conservation Project in Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka
5 of the 7 different species of turtles live in the Indian Ocean and they are all endangered. An increasingly number of injured turtles which are no longer able to survive on their own are found on Sri Lanka’s coasts. Therefore various programs and turtle conservation centers have been set up to take care of the injured animals and provide medical care for them.
This turtle conservation center is located in the south of Sri Lanka on the beach of Ambalangoda. The Sri Lankan government awarded this center the title of ‘the largest program for the breeding and conservation of turtles in Sri Lanka.
The team at this center focuses on the care of wounded turtles that have been victims of general pollution, landfill sites and human activities.
Special about this program is the treatment of disabled turtles. Turtles that show permanent damage require intensive care as they may can’t be released back into nature.
Service community engagement in Sri Lanka - what's in and what's not in
Services for your community engagement work abroad include the active support in the preparation of your entire stay abroad. The team of our partner organization in each country supports you, wherever you require it:
- Placement in a community engagement project according to you demands
- Assisting visa application
- Information about cheap flights, travel insurances and other important travel documents
- Airport transportation with direct transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your whole volunteer work (in dormitories in the volunteer house)
- Every day transport to the project site
- 3 meals during the weekdays
- 2 meals on Saturday and Sunday
- Tips and information about freetime activities
- Contact person during your stay abroad
- 24-hour emergency number
- Regular meetings with all volunteers or interns
What’s not included:
- Personal expenses
- Transfer to the airport after the end of your project work
Your coordinator in Sri Lanka
Dhammike is project coordinator in Kandy and Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka and thus your contact person. Since 1993 he has been working in the hospitality sector and knows exactly which tips are important to have a carefree stay.