Volunteer Community Project in Samaná, Dominican Republic
Overview: volunteering in youth care and community work in Samaná
Education, child care and leisure activities as we know them are not that common in the Dominican Republic. Especially children from families with low income or disabled children are often deprived of these opportunities. This school in Samaná does not only care for all of its lively students and children with special needs alike, but also works to improve environmental awareness amongst the community. Regardless of wether your strengths lie in teaching English, in music, drama, or sports, if you are interested in environmental protection, have a talent for the arts and crafts or simply like to work with your hands – this projects gives you the opportunity to put your ideas into action. You can teach in school or in special needs classes, organize theatre plays and reading competitions for the youth of the community, work with the children in the school's organic garden and offer workshops on environmental protection and sustainability – time to spur on the children's ambition! Your own ideas and suggestions will also be highly appreciated and supported. This way, you will present the children with unique experiences – just as they will do with you – and support them on their path into a brighter future.
Services for your volunteer program in the Dominican Republic
- Placement in a volunteer program according to your demands
- Assisting visa application
- Information about affordable flights, travel insurances and other important travel documents
- Airport transportation with direct transfer to your accommodation
- Airport transfer to bus terminal Santo Domingo
- Bus ticket from Santo Domingo to Samaná inlcuding return ticket
- Accommodation in a guest house or guest family for the duration of your project (please note: an additional fee for living a guest family applies)
- Living in a host family includes 2 meals a day
- Living in s shared flat: slef-catering
- 6 hours Spanish lessons per week
- Orientation on site through a staff member
- Tips and information about freetime activities
- Contact person during your stay abroad
- 24-hour emergency number
- Regular meetings with all volunteers or interns
What's not included:
- Meals (shared flat)
- Additional personal expenses
- Airport drop
Your volunteer coordinator in the Dominican Republic
Due to his passion for travelling the world, experiencing new cultures and being socially committed, Manfred early decided to work in the field of development aid. Thus, in 1998 he started to organize a street kids projects in Caracas, Venezuela. He mainly took care of international cooperation, cultural exchange and volunteer work.
His efforts in Venezuela have proven that popular, so that he decided to establish a new volunteer program in the Dominican Republic. The more people can be helped, the better! Now he is coordinating volunteers in Samaná, the Dominican Republic, and will become your contact person during your stay in the Caribbean!
Learn more about Manfred !