Volunteer with women and chidren from disadvantaged communities in Cape Town, South Africa
Overview: volunteer with disadvantaged women in South Africa
The founder, Lucinda, has recognized a great need for a women's development project in this suburb about 30 km from the city centre of Cape Town. In this district there are living about 40,000 people with an unemployment rate of 60%.
The community has experienced a lot of violence, especially against women, within families and even against children.
In recent years, the consumption of drugs has increased significantly (Chrystal Meth in Cape Town is called Tik).
Service volunteer in Cape Town – what's in and what's not inWhat's included:
- Placement in the volunteer project
- Assisting visa application
- Information about cheap flights, travel insurances and other important travel documents
- Airport pick up from Cape Town Airport
- Return transfer to Cape Town Airport
- Accommodation in a host family, if available for this project
- Organization of a rental car or scooter if demanded
- Orientation on site through a staff member
- Tips and information about freetime activities
- Contact person during your stay abroad
- 24-hour emergency number
- Regular meetings with all volunteers or interns
- Accommodation in a backpacker/shared flat (an additional fee of 70 USD on top of the placement fee and 25 USD per week apply; the prices are subject to change)
Your coordinator in Cape Town
"My name is Jana Williams, I am originally from Germany, but living in South Africa for 8 1/2 years. Nearly 6 years of those I stayed in the mother city of Cape Town. I am now managing all internship and volunteer placements for Studentsgoabroad Cape Town. During my studies of Social Work I did internships abroad myself. I have been to London, India and even in Cape Town which was 12 years ago. While still living in Germany I started placing interns in Southern African countries and always enjoyed this activity. This activity is interesting, exciting, versatile and most of all positive, as a stay abroad always enlarges the personal horizon.