Volunteer at Training Centre for the Blind and Deaf in Nairobi, Kenya
Overview: Volunteer at Training Centre for the Blind and Deaf in Sikri, Kenya
The project was founded in 1970 and has 42 permanent employees working there. The project ground covers an average of 365 hectares and is situated in the village Sikri.
Sikri is located in the rural province South Nyanza. The province borders Tanzania,Uganda and lake Victoria. Its capital is Kisumu which is about 85 KM away. There is a bus which runs several times per day.
Service volunteer abroad - what's in and what's not in
Services for your volunteer work abroad include the active support in the preparation of your entire stay abroad. The team of our partner organization in each country supports you, wherever you require it:What's included:
- Placement in a volunteer project according to you demands
- Assisting visa application
- Information about cheap flights, travel insurances and other important travel documents
- Airport transportation with direct transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation (host family or shared flat or apartment)
- 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Organization of a rental car or scooter if demanded
- Orientation on site through a staff member
- Tips and information about freetime activities
- Prepaid SIM card for your phone
- Contact person during your stay abroad
- 24-hour emergency number
- Regular meetings with all volunteers or interns
Your coordinator in Kenya
Pius is a Kenyan citizen and has his roots in the region. He is a graduate of the village life himself and lived a similar lifestyle as these children live today. He came from a family that could not provide for their children but he was lucky to be given a chance by a generous individual who enabled him to go to school. Now Pius runs a successful au-pair agency and tours and travel firm in Nairobi. Being grateful, every day, for the chances he got, Pius is very committed to help others getting the same opportunities. Pius together with his like minded friends,is currently assisting 15 orphaned children .