FAQ - Internship in Canada
1. When do I have to apply for an internship?
Visa applications should be send to the Canadian Embassy as early as possible because there is a limited allocation of visas per year. Every year at the end of November or the beginning of December the Canadian Embassy publishes the exact number of visas, which will be available for the upcoming year. It´s important to notice, that all visas are very quickly taken after the beginning oft the new year. If you want to know how many visas are still left, you can visit the website oft the Canadian Embassy.
2. How much time should I set aside for my application for an internship in Canada?
You should apply as early as possible for a visa because the registration and allocation is following the First-come-first-served principle. But in general, you should plan about 3 months minimum for you application.
3. Are the internships paid?
- Internships which take place during the studies are not paid.
- Internships of young professionals or graduates can be paid
4. Which internship positions are not offered?
Volunteer jobs and social work are not part of the internship program.
5. What are the requirements to get a successful internship placement?
- intermediate to advanced level of English and/or French
- desire to learn and improve language skills
- eligible for the required visa according to Citizenship & Immigration Canada
6. How much should I budget for additional costs?
- Program application fee
- Visa application fee: approximately 70 € – 115 € depending on exchange rates
- Medical insurance for duration of the program: 10 €, per week
- Flight (depending on departure and arrival cities)
- Airport Reception: 65 € – 90 €, depending on city
- Accommodation: 500 € – 615 €/ month depending on meals, dorm, host family)
- Transportation: monthly public transportation passes range from 60 € –110 € depending upon location
7. Are there any time restrictions for the internship?
- Working Holiday Visa: Up to 12 months
- International Co-op (Internship): Up to 12 months
- Young professionals: Up to 12 months
8. Which are the typical Canadian office hours?
Most of the shops are open from Monday to Friday between 9 am to 5.30 pm and Thursday between 9 am to 9 pm. But there are no scheduled opening hours. A lot of shops are open until late and at the weekends. Especially in the tourist centers the shops are also open at Sundays.